Students' Union academic advice 

The advice team can give you free, confidential advice on academic issues that you might be facing. You can complete our form to receive advice via email, via Teams or face-to-face.

We recommend that you first read through our advice topic pages as you may find your answer there.


To find out about the policies that the Students' Union advice service follow, click here. The page has some useful information and policies about the advice service, what you can expect from us, and how we use your data.

Need someone with you at your meeting?

Our advisers are available to attend with you and represent you at panels, hearings and meetings for complaints, appeals, academic misconduct and disciplinaries.  This service is subject to the availabilty of the advisers and we require a minimum of 48 hours notice. Please contact us as soon as you receive notification of these proceedings so that we can best support you.

Who can get advice from the Students' Union?

Academic advice is free for students studying at the University of East London. However we are unable to help students that are studying at partner institutions with the exception of the following (2023/24):-

1. Babcock/Metropolitan Police

2. Barking and Dagenham College

3. Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts

4. London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA)

5. Malvern House

6. Maria Montessori Institute

7. OLC (Bolton)

8. University Campus of Football Business (UCFB)

9. West Ham United Foundation

10. Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust

11. Institute of Child Education and Psychology Europe (ICEP)

12. Rheinische Fachhochschule (RFH)

These programmes are joint which means they are partly taught by UEL staff at UEL premises.

We are also unable to advise the following:-

  • Students studying at Partner Institutions (with the exception of the ones listed above).  If you need advice please contact your Academic Partnership Office.
  • Parents of students
  • Relatives of students
  • Friends of students
  • Landlords or letting agents
  • Students who are seeking legal advice on their case.

A student can give authorisation for us to discuss their case with somebody else if it is difficult for them to deal with their case alone, this may be due to poor health or if they are having difficulty accessing the service themselves (for example they are currently outside the UK).