Contact Us

Frequently asked questions


How do I ‘join’ the Students’ Union?

As a student at the University of East London, you are automatically a member of the Students’ Union! This gives you access to our societies, community groups and advice service, as well as having our full support throughout your time here.

Can I get a job at the University or Students’ Union?

For advice on jobs for students from the University, you can visit the Career Zone. For opportunities within the Students’ Union, take a look at our current vacancies.

How do I get a Totum card?

Visit to sign up and order your card.

Where can I get my certificate of study/proof of student status/council tax exemption letter?

Visit MyPortal.

Can you fill out/distribute my survey? Can you sign/distribute this petition? Can you promote my business/project/skills?

Unfortunately, we are unable to distribute surveys, petitions or information on behalf of students. We would recommend spreading the word within your cohort, or joining a society/student group that is related to your cause.

What should I do if my application to study at the University has not been accepted?

You will need to contact the admissions team at the University.

Who should I contact if I have not received my transcript or degree certificate?

You will need to visit MyPortal.

What should I do if I am having issues with student visa?

Why can’t I log in? (‘account not matched’)

You should wait one working day after enrolling with the University for your Students' Union account to become active. After that, if you are unable to log in to our website with your correct student credentials please email and we will investigate.


I would like to speak with someone from the Students’ Union advice team

How do I apply for extenuating circumstances?

If you feel there have been circumstances that have adversely impacted your ability to complete or submit your work on time, you can make a claim for extenuating circumstances. Please read the relevant guidance and application form. Before you submit your application, please read the Students’ Union extenuation advice to make sure this is the best route for you.

How do I raise a complaint against the University?

Our advice team can assist you in lodging a complaint. Fill out a contact form, and a member of the team will be back in touch with you.


How can I find out what events are on at the Students’ Union?


Societies, student groups and community groups

How do I create a society/student group?

Find out information on student groups and activities. If you would like to start a society/student group, you will need a new and original group idea, and three committee members. You will then need to fill out an application form which will be reviewed by the team. Find out further details on starting your own society/student group.

How do I join a society/student group?

There are loads of fantastic societies/student groups, operating at the Students’ Union. Find a full list of groups here. There is usually a small fee (between £1-£5) to join a group, which grants you membership for the full academic year. To join a group, all you need to do is login to the Students’ Union website, go to the society/student group’s webpage, and click ‘buy membership’. You can also find the group’s contact details and social media pages on their webpage, so feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

How do I join a community group?

Community groups are run by a student committee and provide self-defining students with the opportunity to come together to discuss the issues that affect them, socialise with their peers and be part of our drive to create a positive and inclusive environment while at University. Membership to our community groups is completely free. Join our community groups here